Optomechanical Scientist LIDAR
Honeywell dynamically expands activities in research and development (R&D) centre in Brno, Czech Republic. Established in 2003, this is the largest R&D centre in Europe for Honeywell. Our engineers and scientists develop products and technologies that are linked to our business groups: Aerospace, Automation and Controls Solutions and Transportation Systems.
Currently we have an opening for a scientist/engineer position to work within the Sensors team in Honeywell Advanced Technology Europe.
The area of research and development is the design of LIDAR based Air Data sensors for use in aviation.
The LIDAR based Air Data sensor is a complex opto-electronic system of which performance is heavily influenced by multiple effects such as selection of key optical parameters, electronic design as well as environmental effects.
In the role, you will be asked to get acquainted with LIDAR principle, optical system design and data analysis. You will be expected to actively participate in system design upgrades to improve its performance. The inseparable part of the work is to participate in experimental validation including flight testing in real environment.
This will include understanding the customer requirements, translating those into system requirements, perform trade studies, writing research and development proposals.
The sensor team is also actively involved in other activities such as inertial sensors, space systems design and experimental data analysis.
The main customers are: Honeywell International s.r.o., Airbus, Boeing, etc.
• Masters or Doctorate Degree in Physics, Optics or Engineering where optics and optomechanics have been part of your study or thesis program.
• Data Analysis, Algorithm Development and Verification: Gathering large volumes of sensor data, deriving meaning from imperfect sensor response, developing robust algorithms to compensate for sensor nonidealities.
• Optics Experimental / Hands-on experience: Optics hardware troubleshooting, building and aligning complex optical systems.
• Experience with development and testing of laser-based optical systems.
• Working knowledge of Zemax, Ray tracing (free space) or Particle/atmospheric radiative transfer (scattering) modeling.
• Working experience with Matlab/ Simulink or similar data analysis software.
• Good command of the English language
• Practical experience with programming is a plus (Python, Git,…).
• Understanding physics of atmosphere is a plus.
• Strong aptitude for Research & Development.
• Industrial design talent.
• Ability to work independently.
• Ability to learn new technologies.
• An open, honest and team oriented personality.
• Eagerness to get involved in hands-on work.
• Some experience in engineering related field.
• Understanding of industry standards and security practices.
• Some experience with all aspects of technology development.
Honeywell is an equal opportunity employer. We will review your application without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, or veteran status.