Honeywell dynamically expands activities in research and development (R&D) centre in Brno, Czech Republic. Established in 2003, this is the largest R&D centre in Europe for Honeywell. Our engineers and scientists develop products and technologies that are linked to our business groups: Aerospace, Automation and Controls Solutions and Transportation Systems.
Currently we have an opening for a scientist/engineer position to work within the Sensors team in Honeywell Advanced Technology Europe.
The area of research and development is the design of LIDAR based Air Data sensors for use in aviation.
The LIDAR based Air Data sensor is a complex opto-electronic system of which performance is heavily influenced by multiple effects such as selection of key optical parameters, electronic design as well as environmental effects.
In the role, you will be required to get familiar with principles of LIDAR systems and physics of atmosphere. As a scientist, you will analyze large experimental data samples, and actively participate in design of data processing algorithms. The inseparable part of the work is to participate in experimental validation including flight testing in real environment.
This will include understanding the customer and system requirements, perform trade studies, writing research reports and development proposals.
You need to have a large tolerance for ambiguity and be able to solve large complex problems independently.
The sensor team is also actively involved in other activities such as inertial sensors, space systems design and experimental data analysis.
The main customers are: Honeywell International s.r.o., Airbus, Boeing, etc.
• Masters or Doctorate Degree in Engineering or Physics, Electrical, Mechanical, Aerospace Engineering.
• Experience with systems modeling, optical systems, electro-optics, laser systems, sensor electronics, and/or sensor technology.
• Analytical capability to design optical systems using tools such as optical ray tracing/simulation tools: End-to-end optical simulation: Zemax, Ray tracing (free space) or Particle/atmospheric radiative transfer (scattering) modeling.
• Knowledge and experience in Python (Object-oriented coding).
• Advanced linear algebra; Least squared fit, Deconvolution, Principal component analysis or Singular-value decomposition.
• Experience with laboratory optical systems set up and measurements.
• Knowledge and experience in taking optical systems through maturation from concept development to engineering to production.
• Good command of the English language.
• Knowledge and research experience with LIDAR systems.
• Experience and knowledge of atmospheric physics or meteorology.
• Experience working in teams of engineers, scientists, or technicians.
• Experience in planning, and executing externally-funded proposal activities involving multiple sites and external partners.
• Knowledge and experience in developing intellectual property including patents and assessments.
• Capable of leading, planning, and executing the development and testing of sensors, including debugging hardware and software desired.
• Strong communication and presentation skills.
• Program management experience of internal and external R&D projects including scheduling, milestone tracking, manpower planning, earned-value measurement, estimating and budgeting.
• Practical experience with large experimental data processing and analysis.
• Practical experience with programming is a plus (Python, Git, …).
• Working experience with Matlab/ Simulink or similar data analysis software.
• Strong aptitude for Research & Development.
Honeywell is an equal opportunity employer. We will review your application without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, or veteran status.